Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Kitchen

I don't remember the colors of the walls or the floor. There's a strong aroma of food left over from the wedding reception last night. The one physical thing that sticks out the most in my memory is the table. It's a light wood and almost looks homemade. This is home. You can tell by the warmth. Maybe it's the colors that make it warm, but probably not. You see, the most important thing about this kitchen is the people.

I sit at one of the heads of the table, feeling blissful and peaceful. This is home. But I don't live here. Also at the table are my family- or, at least, all of us un-married folk. We're not all related by blood, but by heart. My sister's on her "boyfriend's" lap-- obviously it's before they hit that awkward pre-teen stage. The two little boys have food all over their faces and more is being smeared on. The little girls' so-called “trouble laughs” intermingle with all of the other joyful sounds. I think one of our party feels a bit left out- her older sister's no longer with us and I'm flirting with her brothers more than I had before. One of those boys is being a goof- a typical high school attention-monger boy. The other one's laughing at something I just said, always amused by how weird I am.

We're all so animated, talking, laughing, eating. The night will also consist of a nerf war and piggy back rides. When the cream puffs' bucket is emptied, the still-hungry older boys will blame me. The entirity of the family (sans the newly married couple) joins in a rousing card game, a tradition among us. Laughter and smiles, that's the overpowering sense.

It hurts to be here now. It's the wrong color. It's cold and empty. It's a different table. It isn't a home. It's a kitchen in a house that's sitting between owners. I'm visiting one last time and I can't help but want to cry. I never lived here myself, but it was home. Now it's not. It's almost like this kitchen, this beloved kitchen full of so many heartwarming memories, has died.

This is simply a place I thought of when asked to describe somewhere that meant a lot to me. Also, on a side note, with school officially back in session, I may miss a day or two here and there due to busy work loads. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but it happens every year so I apologize beforehand.

No comments:

Post a Comment